INVOLVED IN A ROAD ACCIDENT, YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THE SAAQ ADMINISTERS A PUBLIC SYSTEM WITHOUT TAKING LIABILITY INTO ACCOUNT.
Everyone in Quebec is entitled to compensation for physical injuries caused by a road accident, regardless of who is liable or where in the world the accident took place. Non-residents who are injured in a road accident in Quebec are eligible for compensation that is proportional to their liability, unless an agreement with their place of residence says otherwise.
THREE YEARS TO MAKE A CLAIM.
Your status at the time of the accident is very important because it affects the type and amount of compensation you are entitled to, as well as the compensation period. We have been advising and assisting members of the public with claims for 30 years. We work with a team of specialist physicians who can support you if you need to refute the SAAQ’s evidence.
IN THE EVENT OF A ROAD ACCIDENT
- Call the police or carefully fill out a joint report.
- See a doctor at a medical clinic or hospital as soon as possible. Make sure you mention any discomfort, pain or injury.
- Call the SAAQ. They will send you a Claim for Compensation form.
- Ask your doctor to fill out the SAAQ medical report form.
- Make sure you obtain regular medical follow-ups. If necessary, ask to be referred to a specialist.
- Find out your rights and obligations.
- Be diligent about meeting all contestation deadlines.
- Keep copies of all communications and documents, and request copies of your medical results to keep in your personal files.